While on vacation in Fiji, an eight-year-old Australian boy is believed to have died from electrocution.
The boy was staying with his parents at the Club Wyndham Denarau Island Resort on the west coast of Fiji's main island. His family has identified him as Cairo Winitana from Sydney.
He was discovered last Thursday, according to Fiji police, lying "motionless" close to a hotel flower garden.
Despite being transported to a hospital in the nearby city of Nadi, he was unable to be revived.
The child was allegedly electrocuted, according to preliminary information, but the post-mortem will need to confirm that, according to Fijian police.
They also said that although the boy lived in Australia, he was a citizen of New Zealand. The family is receiving aid from New Zealand's Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Trade, a spokeswoman said.
"I loved you my son from the moment I found out I was carrying you and will love you forever more," his mother Amber de Thierry wrote on Facebook.
According to a relative's online fundraiser, the family now had "the heartbreaking job" of bringing their son back to Australia.
"As you can all imagine, this loss has been devastating for our family," the speaker said.
The Milperra Colts, the team Cairo played for, described him as "a shy, tough little kid who loved his footy" in a Facebook tribute.
A resort representative called the death a "tragic accident" and offered the family "heartfelt condolences.".
According to the resort's spokesperson, a thorough investigation would be conducted, and it would fully cooperate with the police and local authorities.
Denarau Island, the third-largest city in Fiji, is about 5km (3.1 miles) to the north-west of Nadi and is well known for its opulent resorts and hotels.